Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ripping the Band aid off fast hurts

Today was the day--- some issues with a co-worker had to be dealt with.  It was done in a manner that could be likened to the way my mother used to remove a band aid from a bad scrape when I was young--- very swiftly and very firmly.  I would imagine that it caused a pretty bad sting to the recipient much like the removing of the band aid did me.  

Much like a bad scrape or a deep wound that requires covering for a time-- the behavior of my co-worker has caused pain, left our whole system open to "infection" if you will, and compromised the overall health of our operation.  The breech had been addressed previously, and a time of "healing" by way of grace and observation was allowed.  It has become obvious that we have seen all the improvement that we are going to see with the current course of treatment.  So, just a mother with a child, the covering had to be removed so that all that laid beneath it would be exposed-- visible-- available for examination.  A new course of treatment has to be set once a band aid is removed-- will you apply a salve?  will you just let the air help it dry and heal?  is time all it needs?  is it more serious than first suspected?

Watching this process today was much like seeing someone wince in the pain associated with that swift tearing away of the protection that the band aid was providing.  No more cover, no more cushion-- just open exposure of a very sore and tender area.  I find myself feeling like one of the group that had to hold him still so the work could be done-- not fun-- but necessary!  Tomorrow, I will work with him-- one on one.  He will be sore and angry-- but what was done, had to be done.  My hope-- though weak in its resolve, is that he will "heal" and get this job going right.  He has many attributes that can be a real asset in the work place.  More realistic is the concern that he will harden his heart even further toward our work place and deepen the wound until he has to be removed.  A hand or a foot is a good and useful thing-- unless it is so infected that it will cause death if not amputated.  The choice is now his-- 

I am withholding any further opinion of the happenings of the day.  My conduct was fair and forthright.  His reaction is beyond my control- my reaction is my own responsibility.  I will greet him tomorrow full of hope for a better future-- he controls how we move forward from there.  Tonight I rest, tomorrow--- will be here soon enough and will have to take care of itself

No comments:

Post a Comment